- As teams are now a few days into camp, some are faced with problems that could potentially end their seasons before they begin. One such instance is Tennessee Titans running back Chris Johnson. Johnson stated in 2010 that he wants a contract with nearly $30 million in guarantees, and the Titans responded by upping his $1.5 million salary in 2010 to $2.05. Needless to say, that is far from what Johnson is looking for. Aside from being the Titans best player, he is likely the most explosive player in the league regardless of position, and certainly the fastest running back. He led the league two years ago in rushing and after the deal De’Angelo Williams of the Panthers signed with nearly $30 million in guarantees, its time for the Titans to pony up or kiss their season goodbye. Similarly, Osi Umenyiora does not look like he will be returning to the field anytime soon for the Giants. He offered to return if they voided the last year of his contract and they countered by offering a contract that would give him roughly an extra $2 million this season if he broke 11.5 sacks. Considered Charles Johnson received almost a $60 million contract from the Panthers, and the average premier pass rusher earns about $8-$10 million per season, the Giants need to either pay him or lower their trade demands before they have to let him walk for nothing.
- On the flip side of the coin, it appears as though DeSean Jackson is retuning to practice. He’s another play who is grossly underpaid as he will earn just $565,000 this season after he caught 47 passes for 1,056 yards and six touchdowns last year, and his 22.5 yard-per-catch average was best in the NFL. In comparison, Andre Johnson, the league’s top receiver signed a seven-year $73.5 million contract last offseason.
- Quick Notes: Ricky Williams signed yesterday with the Baltimore Ravens to become a complimentary back to Ray Rice. The two-year deal is worth up to $4 million…The Cincinnati Bengals have named 2nd round pick out of TCU, Andy Dalton, their starting QB…The Denver Broncos released their depth chart and currently Tim Tebow is #2 behind Kyle Orton..Detroit Lions draft pick, Illinois RB Mikel Leshoure torn an ACL and will be out for the season, prompting the team to sign Mike Bell and Jerome Harrison for depth.
- The Phillies defeated the Los Angeles Dodgers 5-3, with Roy Halladay picking up his major league-leading 15th victory in the process.
- David Ortiz drove in 3 runs as the Red Sox defeated the Minnesota Twins 8-6
- The blows keep coming for the New York Mets as they just placed Daniel Murphy and Jose Reyes on the injured reserve.
- Real Madrid, one of the best soccer clubs in the world, signed youth prodigy Leonel Angel Coira to their youth academy. The Argentinian phenom will begin training with Madrid’s youth team September 6th. This is just the latest move for international soccer clubs identifying talent at an extremely young age and getting them under contract, rather than having to pay expensive transfer fees later on. The full story can be read here: ESPN